Monday, April 17, 2006

One thing leads to another, first I found a link to Linkology (because I was looking for articles about blogs). I scanned the links and saw a name I know, Joel Spolsky.

I know his name because his user interface book (User Interface Design for Programmers) was so useful to me, at a time when I really needed advice. It was the perfect combination of technical and usability information, and it was so comforting and low-key in its approach, it gave me the confidence to go forward.

I was not surprised to find this quote, from his book The Best Software Writing 1 posted on his website:

From The Best Software Writing 1

The software development world desperately needs better writing. If I have to read another 2000 page book about some class library written by 16 separate people in broken ESL, I’m going to flip out. If I see another hardback book about object oriented models written with dense faux-academic pretentiousness, I’m not going to shelve it any more in the Fog Creek library: it’s going right in the recycle bin. If I have to read another spirited attack on Microsoft’s buggy code by an enthusiastic nine year old Trekkie on Slashdot, I might just poke my eyes out with a sharpened pencil. Stop it, stop it, stop it!


No comments: